They are involved in...
Q) Why did God record imperfect lives of OT men & women?
“Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did.”
(1 Cor. 10:6)
A. Lot’s life and influence – a Downward Spiral:
(Gen. 13:1-14:16; 18:1-19:38)
Bible quiz: “Noah’s Ark and the Flood”
1. Was the flood worldwide? Yes
Jesus Himself stated that the flood happened. (Mt. 24:37-39)
Note: If there were a worldwide flood, you would expect other cultures with a similar story. In fact, every major culture has a flood legend.
Of over 200 flood legends:
Genesis 2 & 3 records the interactions between God, Adam, Eve and Satan. With the resultant “Fall of Man” - sin, pain and suffering entered into the world. What possible good could come out of this grave situation?
- 1. God the Creator was revealed as Generous
(Gen. 2:7-9, 15-18)
What we are taught is the age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years (4,540,000,000 years ± 1%); an old earth.
Q) What if the earth was only 12,000 years old; a young earth?
Secularists teach - about the age of our earth:
- Great amounts of time are needed
- Time + Chance (ignoring the second law of Thermo-Dynamics – there is progressive disorder (increase in entropy) over time in a closed system)
- There is no God interaction; no supernatural
Last words are important: Jesus’ last words were the Great Commission spoken some 2000 years ago to His Disciples and it is in effect for us today.
This is “The Great Commission” not “The Great Suggestion”
The Great Commission is so important that it is listed in each of the Gospels and Acts: Mat. 28:18-20, Mark 16:15-16, Luke 24:46-47, John 20:21, Acts 1:8
1. Authority: Jesus said, “All authority (God-given) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me.” (Mat. 28:18)
This week we will address the issue of overcoming failures in our life.
1. We get blocked – remembering our failure(s)
After Christ’s arrest, Peter denied (3X) that he knew the Lord:
Introduction: There are situations and people reactions that can influence leaders to turn away from their life calling. How can we pull out of a downward spiral?
Context: Three powerful years of training, miracles, hope and vision had collapsed with the abrupt end of Christ’s life. Peter had denied Christ 3X. The Disciples had fled in fear. They had seen the resurrected Christ, now what?
Peter’s Downward Spiral:
Song – “Let it go!” from movie “Frozen”, Idina Menzel
Moms let go of their children in many ways, we will note 6 ways:
1. Letting go of my future to accept God’s plan for my life
Angel Gabriel came to Mary (Luke 1:26-38)
Q) Did you ever get branded with a knick-name that you could not shake? For a statement he made the Disciple Thomas has long been known as “Doubting Thomas”, but was he?
Let us look at the life of the Disciple Thomas:
1. Thomas was courageous and inspirational
- Context: Lazarus had become ill and died (John 11:14)
- The leaders in Jerusalem had become hostile to Jesus and His ministry (John 11:57; 12:10)
- Jesus wanted to go to Jerusalem
Jesus was crucified between two thieves
- We don’t know their names, just their crimes.
They heard Jesus respond to the soldiers who were crucifying Him: “Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34)
The Roman Centurion who witnessed the crucifixion said, “Surely He was the Son of God!” (Mt. 27:54)
These two criminals show the great contrast: (Lk. 23:32-43)