Jehovah-Rohi = The LORD is my Shepherd
- Pronounced: juh-HO-vah RO-hee
- First mentioned in Psalm 23
1. Christ is The Good Shepherd (John 10:14-18)
- Role: Christ is the Good Shepherd
- Relationship: He knows His sheep and they know Him
- Sacrifice: Christ willingly lays down His life for His sheep
Shepherds in biblical times:
At night, sheep were kept in simple enclosures, in caves or within walls made from thorn brush. At times, the shepherd would sleep with his body lying across the gate to the enclosure (as a door) in order to keep the sheep safe from predators and thieves. (John 10:7-10)
The Lord is my Shepherd:
- He provides, leads, cares, protects, directs
- He is patient & strong, knows them by name
2. Today, the church Elders are the shepherds locally:
(1 Peter 5:2-5)
- Christ is the Chief Shepherd
- The Elders are the “Under-shepherds” - caring and serving God’s flock (church) under their care
- They lead by providing the living examples
- They will give a report of their work to Christ.
- Obey them so that their work will be a joy not a burden for that would be no advantage to you. (Heb. 13:17)
Psalm 23 – The Shepherd Psalm. This chapter is one of the most quoted in all of Scripture. The words have given great comfort and compassion through the tough stages our lives:
Notice the multiple references to the Names of God:
v.1) The Lord is my shepherd – Jehovah-Rohi
(the LORD is my Shepherd)
I shall not be in want – Jehovah-Jireh
(the LORD will Provide)
v.2) He makes me to lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside quiet (still) waters – Jehovah–Shalom
(the LORD is Peace)
v.3) He restores my soul – Jehovah-Rapha
(the LORD who Heals)
He guides (leads) me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake – Jehovah–Tsidkenu
(the LORD our Righteousness)
v.5) You anoint my head with oil – Jehovah-Mekaddishkem (the LORD who Sanctifies)
(the LORD who Sanctifies)
Note: David was a shepherd of sheep; he experienced and understood his God as the “Great Shepherd” of people.
Challenge - rewriting Psalm 23: Who is God to you?
What key words would you include to describe God?
a. ___________, b. ____________, c. _____________
3. Christ is The Lamb of God
- Christ is both the Shepherd and the Sheep Sacrifice.
“We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.” (Isaiah 53:6)
John the Baptist said of Christ: “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the World!” (John 1:29)
“May the God of peace…that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing His will, and may He work in us what is pleasing to Him…” (Heb. 13:20-21)