Video: Sandy Hook: “Evil did not win”
The life of Emilie Parker, First Grader -
A story of giving, selflessness, choices and hope.
1. Concepts of Peace:
- Absence of outward conflict
- State of inner calm
- Includes absence of war and inner calm plus…
- Wholeness, completeness, perfection, safety, wellness
- Comes from living in harmony with God
- Fruit of this: harmony with others, prosperity, health, satisfaction, soundness, wholeness, well-being
2. Jehovah Shalom: “The LORD is Peace”
- Pronounced: juh-HO-vah shah-LOME”
- Shalom is used in saying both “hello” and “good bye”
- Messiah – called the “Prince of Peace” (Is. 9:6-7)
- Jerusalem: means city of Peace - possession of peace
- Name of the altar built by Gideon at Ophrah to memorialize God’s message “Peace be unto you.”
Q) What is the source of your personal peace and security?
a. Right place at right time? ___ yes ___ no
b. Fat retirement account? ___ yes ___ no
c. Perfect relationship? ___ yes ___ no
d. Great education? ___ yes ___ no
e. Job security? ___ yes ___ no
3. The Fear (Awe) of God is include in the Peace of God
Angels announced the birth of the Christ child (Lk. 2:8-20)
Shepherds were terrified
The Angel said, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy…and on earth peace to men.” (Lk. 2:10-14)
- Man is fearful in the presence of God or His angels
- It was understood that no one could see God’s face and live (Ex. 33:18-23; Judges 6:22-24)
4. God’s peace conquers our anxious thoughts and worry:
”You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You.” (Isaiah 26:3)
“Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)
“The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus… Whatever is true...noble...right…pure…lovely…admirable… excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
And the God of Peace will be with you.” (Phil. 4:6-9)
5. Peace often comes after a decision, not before
There is a challenge of feeling at peace in decision-making
- We tell people pray until you get the peace of God….
We need to understand dynamic v. static peace
As you pursue your big dream, you face a “wall of fear”
- What if God does not come through?
- Can I do this? Is it the right time?
You cannot stay here; you must go forward, so….
Through faith you walk through your “wall of fear”
Q) This Christmas time, what peace are you pursuing?
- World peace – soldiers come home safely
- Relational peace – good with other people
- Inner peace – conscience clear; pursuing big dream
- Peace with God – sins are forgiven; developing relationship with Christ